[lbo-talk] Response to MG -- Was Poll....

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 03:15:09 PDT 2011

On 7/7/2011 5:40 AM, James Heartfield wrote:

> SA writes
>
> ‘"Outbreak of rhetoric?" Here in the States, Obama is actually trying to cut spending by $4 trillion over the next decade.’
>
> Oh, and how is he doing so far?

The deadline for an agreement is July 22. Ask again then.

> I see that spending has gone up from $2.9 to $3.5 to $3.8 billion under his administration.

James, you make me laugh when you pretend not to understand how government budgets work.

> As I understand your constitution he will not be in power in ten years time, so promising deficit reduction then seems a bit convenient.

No, we're talking about cuts that go into effect starting next year.

> ‘I also hear David Cameron has instituted some policies to rein in spending.’ and quite a lot of policies to increase it, too.

Still laughing.

> ‘the policy regime you're referring to can only be called "Keynesian" in the loosest and laxest sense’. - in the sense that Keynes meant it, rather than the one those wishful leftists who tried to load it with a political meaning it never had, you mean?

The "sense that Keynes meant" was of policy-induced full employment. You're saying that's Cameron's policy. I guess I've been reading the wrong newspapers.

SA