[lbo-talk] Krugman: "The question then is why."

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:45:16 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-08, at 5:11 PM, c b wrote:

> He's not
> "fundamentally conservative". He's yielding to the voice of the
> American people as it was expressed in the election as insane and
> stupid as that voice was. Liberals begot this by not getting out the
> vote in 2010.

Aw, Charles, ask yourself why liberals not get out the vote in 2010? Perhaps if had yielded to the voice of the American people as it was expressed in the election two years earlier, things may have turned out differently. Polls even today on all of the key issues show the majority of Americans are far from insane or stupid. Frustrated and disappointed are probably two adjectives closer to the truth.

If Obama cuts Social Security... The president indicates that funding for the hallmark Democratic program is on the table. Is this the last straw? Salon.com July 7 2011

"For most of the president's tenure, he, his staffers and his devoted-but-dwindling army of sycophants have insisted that the political fallout from the crushing recession reflects unrealistic expectations of Obama in the wake of George W. Bush's destructive reign. It is, dare I say, an audacious claim, especially coming from a candidate who asked us all to have the "audacity of hope" -- and it's more than a little insulting. After all, much of the complaints about the president have been about campaign promises that he didn't just fail to fulfill -- but that he refused to even try to fulfill.

"Indeed, when a political candidate promises to try to pass a public optionto compete with private insurers, attempt to crack down on Wall Street abuse, do what he can to stop unfair trade deals, oppose extending his predecessors tax cuts and avoid initiating initiate costly new wars sans congressional approval, and then once in office works to kill a public option, refuses to prosecute Wall Street crimes, presses the rigged trade deals he opposed, supports the extension of his predecessor's tax cutsand starts a new war in Libya with no congressional authorization -- whose fault is it that he ends up in reelection trouble?"

More: http://www.salon.com/news/david_sirota/2011/07/07/obama_social_security_cuts/index.html