[lbo-talk] kleptocracy gets slap on the wrist

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 04:51:06 PDT 2011

Marv Gandall wrote:

> I think Carrol was referring to himself leaving the list because his
> complaint is that it consists mainly of complainers rather than
> activists. I don't think he was inviting you or others to leave.

I wouldn't want either Carrol or joanna to leave.

The thing is, like Carrol I don't read a daily newspaper every day (I subscribe to Junge Welt, but since their deadline is 6 pm every evening, the articles are more analytical than topical), so I appreciate it when people forward informative news articles.

However, I think what Carrol was objecting to was the subject header, "kleptocracy gets slap on the wrist." We should genuinely avoid trying to approach capitalism according to a "few bad apples" worldview. Of course we have to be informed about JP Morgan Chase involvement in bid rigging or other malfeasance, but never lose sight that the problem is the system of capitalist society -- the mediation of production by the commodity form -- and not individual bad guys.

Marx in the Preface to Capital Vol. I:

"To prevent possible misunderstanding, a word. I paint the capitalist and the landlord in no sense couleur de rose [i.e., seen through rose-tinted glasses]. But here individuals are dealt with only in so far as they are the personifications of economic categories, embodiments of particular class-relations and class-interests. My standpoint, from which the evolution of the economic formation of society is viewed as a process of natural history, can less than any other make the individual responsible for relations whose creature he socially remains, however much he may subjectively raise himself above them."