[lbo-talk] kleptocracy gets slap on the wrist

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 9 06:37:25 PDT 2011

Mostly I'm a grouch. And my back hurts. Leaving a friend's house almost three weeks ago -- I treated the second step as not there and walked off into space. Did marvelous acrobatics in the air; slammed against a post. Wonderful body art on my left arm (bruise given distance by my taking a blood thinner). But then it begin to hurt around my right hip, and continued to hurt along the upper edge of the pelvis. I've been on prednisone for 12 days now, & it's gradually improving, and at 2:30 last night had to come down to sleepon the couch because of it. Only in the last two days has picking up an object from the floor ceased to be a major procedure. Can't splash cold water on my face because I can't lean over far enough.

Beyond that my two complaints about lbo-talk are self-contradicting. On the one hand, discussion of tactical concerns (WITBD) is terribly amateurish; on the other hand, discussion of tactical concerns doesn't occur. Huh! And then when someone says something important I read too slowly to catch it until the rest of the list has gone on to other matters.

Doug made an important point yesterday in one of his posts: Obama is a Conservative.k Period. One doesn't have to give a different explanation for every one of his acts or non-acts. I think that raises some very interesting and important questions that . . . But if I tried to follow up on that now my grouch and my back would just take over again, so I'll leave it for another day.

But really: Capitalism is not theft. Proudhon was wrong. Going down that path leads to some very unpleasant politics. More unpleasant than myh grouchiness.

Carrol