[lbo-talk] Response to MG -- Was Poll....

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Jul 9 07:16:12 PDT 2011

At 10:24 AM 7/7/2011, brad wrote:
>first, the radical left is pretty fucking small. it never worries me when
>some of us elect not to join in the fun. as carrol always says, he votes.
>he just doesn't get involved in the whole brouhaha and likes to lecture us
>about how we shouldn't either. Go ahead and vote. Whatever. Just don't
>fancy that its going to do much to move a radical left politics ahead. we
>are so fucking small it just ain't gonna make a difference whether we
>contribute money, knock on doors campaigning for politicians, or write two
>articles a week designed to persuade peole to vote for this or that
>candidate.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>But party politics is much, much larger than just voting. You are
>falling into the fetishism of the vote that is one of the main ways
>capitalism's formal seperation of politics from economics wins. We
>should avoid this and see and bring to the fore the connections
>between electoral politics, parties and the economy.

i'm talking about the persistent debate on this list, where people who generally are not involved in the DP as activists, get all upset when Carrol tells them they are wasting their energy. The people who urge us to vote DP on the list have never been activists in the DP and so their urging IS about voting - and nothing else.