[lbo-talk] Krugman: "The question then is why."

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 08:27:31 PDT 2011

Joanna: "He said that what everyone is being told is that there's not enough to go around, that we live in a world of increasing scarcity and that the general population of the West is convinced that sharing with the developing world is not feasable, and that if it were, it would certainly mean less for the rest of us. So the swing to the right is a vote for that party which looks more consistent and more willing to fight the encroaching hoards."

[WS:] I think it is a bit more complicated than that. I see at least two distinct phenomena. First is the spread of libertarianism among college educated, or rather college-credentialed crowd. The ideology of self-made geniuses standing head and shoulder above the masses has natural appeal to this crowd, because it coincides with and legitimizes their aspirations. The second phenomenon is that welfare statism, which has traditionally appealed to the working class, has been all but abandoned by the left and became esposed by right win nationalist parties, at least in EU.

The shift to the right that you are talking about are really two different movements that only superficially appear congruent. One is the movement of the working class aligning themselves with political parties that protect their economic interests, even if it means espousing right wing cultural ideas. The other one is the movement of the managerial class and knowledge workers who espouse ideology that legitimizes their status and aspirations.

Wojtek