[lbo-talk] Krugman: "The question then is why."

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 08:39:00 PDT 2011

Doug: "This is related to the argument I've been making for a long time - that crises are not good for the left, since they make people more defensive, insular, competitive, and focused on survival. Climate change is going to add a whole new dimension to this."

[WS:] Again, I think it is a bit more complicated than that. It depend on specific social-economic conditions, existing political institutions, and "uses and gratifications" that different political ideologies offer to different groups of people who live under those conditions. The fact of the matter is that the traditional left offers little uses and gratifications to anyone but certain elements of the academia and literati class.

Wojtek