[lbo-talk] Tea Party

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jul 12 08:59:05 PDT 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:19:00 -0400 brad <babscritique at gmail.com> wrote:

> But doesn't the far right pull, or more cynically give cover for, the
> liberals to do the nasty stuff?

Yes. To paraphrase Candide: If the Teabaggers didn't exist, the Democrats would have to invent them.

> Wouldn't a strong left movement pull,
> or give cover, for the DP to move the other way?

This sorta begs the question of whether the DP *wants* to "move the other way" (and therefore needs "cover" to do it). But no doubt a strong left movement would be a Very Good Thing, no matter what its effect on the Democratic Party. Indeed, if we had such a movement, we wouldn't have to be thinking much about the DP, one way or the other.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com