[lbo-talk] Why Obama was selected

Evergreen Readers and Writers editor at evergreenreaders.com
Sat Jul 16 11:21:10 PDT 2011

Joanna: "The political reality I witnessed were scores of middle-class professional hi tech workers, normally completely apolitical, giving up their vacation time to go to the south west and register voters and campaign for Obama. I've never seen this before in thirty years. Once elected he rushed to dismiss this sizeable, intelligent, and capable group of people. But these people were part of the political reality. It was different this time. The cynics say it was just an anti-Bush, anti-McCain vote. I can't quite buy that. For one thing, Obama is not a very likeable person. He did deliver some good speeches; but overall, he's persnickety, moralizing, and schoolmarmy. I never understood the talk about his charisma. He wasn't a glamorous Kennedy, or a Eugene McCarthy; he too was kind of an asshole, so I don't think he won on looks and personality.

"To say that he was a capitalist tool is not enough. Capitalism has short term and long term possibilities & one may serve capitalism in many ways. FDR served capitalism too, but what a difference for the working class."

That is all true.

I think it was the consent of the majority in the monopoly bourgeoisie class (and their media) etc., that projected Obama. It had many benefits for them and it was their foresight as well.

A great image of USA was projected all over the world. US peoples' magnanimity..., etc.

The public inside the USA was as well given a boost--that if Obama can make his life so comfortable under this social system, what bothers you? An unprecedented recession, which had been on cards since 1998--the time when Clinton was trying to find one or the other pretext to invade Iraq--was emerging--everything seemed going wrong to the public opinion--inefficiency of the US ruling class and public disgust with it was hovering in the sky. Public distraction was needed direly.

Besides this, Chinese and French agents in Africa needed to be ousted from power and replaced by the US, if USA was to have lion's share in the economic contracts, activities, etc., there. Though in this plan, things haven't gone in the direction in which they would have liked to. It is US supported fellows that have seen hard times so far.

Obama was an excellent choice to address all these issues.

Zihannasheen