[lbo-talk] infrastructure

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:06:35 PDT 2011

Joanna: "It's quite possible that L.A. has changed. When I lived there last, about thirty years ago, it wasn't so bad. Except for the smog."

[WS:] Interesting. This is what my son says. He grew up in northern CA, and then went to a film school in Boston. He hated it, and moved to LA in his senior year (Emerson has a satellite campus there.) He works in the film industry now (sort of, I am still sending him checks ;-) and likes the place quite a bit.

I could never understand that. I visited the place a number of times and was never impressed - it looked too sprawled and too 'suburban" to my taste. I fell in love with NYC on the first sight - mainly because of its density, ubiquity of public transit and public spaces, and its "European" taste. LA, otoh, looks to me more like an "Asian" city - for which I never cared. They looked to me like a lose collection of shopping districts, residential areas and slums. I know it is pretty subjective and impressionistic - and that there are many interesting places in LA - but it is akin to American cooking - there is some good stuff in it, but I would not trade the South East Asian cuisine for it.

Wojtek