[lbo-talk] infrastructure

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 14:40:25 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek S" <wsoko52 at gmail.com>

I could never understand that. I visited the place a number of times and was never impressed - it looked too sprawled and too 'suburban" to my taste. I fell in love with NYC on the first sight - mainly because of its density, ubiquity of public transit and public spaces, and its "European" taste. LA, otoh, looks to me more like an "Asian" city - for which I never cared. They looked to me like a lose collection of shopping districts, residential areas and slums. I know it is pretty subjective and impressionistic - and that there are many interesting places in LA - but it is akin to American cooking - there is some good stuff in it, but I would not trade the South East Asian cuisine for it.

I grew up in the Fairfax (jewish) area, just next to the art museum, just east of Beverly Hills, just south of Hollywood. (1963-1971). When I moved to the bay area, it felt like a relief though.

Whatever is left of old L.A., which was mostly in my neighborhood, was quite lovely (architecture wise). Loathed the suburbs, but then I always do.

I completely agree about NYC and how it's the closes thing to 'home'. Don't think I'd survive the weather though.

Joanna