[lbo-talk] Note on Low vision and web sites

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 20 09:03:34 PDT 2011

ZoomText, which I have been using for over a year or two, both enlarges text (to almost any size) and reads it aloud, with a choice of seeral different voices and different speeds. I have an auxillary program which I have not explored fully yet which magnifies selected portions of the s c reen. In other words, I have no trouble whatever in enlarging the text to readable proportions. On web sites, this capacity is double-edged: the more I enlarge text, the harder it is to find the text to begin with. There are a number of text-enlargement methods, including the one Wojtek mentions. None of them come close to the power and convenience of ZoomText. None of them, including ZoomText, are of anyuse whatever in FINDING text or buttons on a web site. In fact, using them interferes with finding buttons and texts. The limit is simple geometry. The larger the content, the less appears on a given screen. In addition, when text is enlarged, on web sites (and to some extent on e-mail, the screen goes simply nutty and cannot be controlled. In other words, my problems are matters of contradictions within the software I use, not with enlarging text. That problem was solved long ago.

Nevertheless, much thanks to everyone for their continue suggestions. Who knows, one of them might work one of these days.

Carrol

P.S. At the last line above I lost control of the screen, which would not show any more at the bottom. To get room for this I had to hit return a number of tiems, so their will be a number of blank lines below this line. This is just a minor illustration of screen problems arising from expanding the font. There is a P.s. floating down there someplace, which I typed but could not at that time see.

P.S.