[lbo-talk] infrastructure

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 20 19:02:34 PDT 2011

People in action change the world, not critics in the bleachers. Such change is the result of social movements of one sort or antoher, and the _chief_ feature, the most visible feature, of any actual movement is that when people in it say we they arein that we people they don't like, people who are not, as it were, simpatico. (Eric's point about _fast_ change is important here.) It is impossible to predict which people in the world today are going to be the ones who change the world tomorrow. Hence generalized squawks about random groups of people help keep capitalism healthy and vicious. Such generalizations count as an attack on the working class. (Of course they may not count, period. But that is another matter.)

Paintings can be phoney. Twenty dollar bills can be phoney. People cannot, even if they try to be. They are simply people. Houseman's "Epitaph for an Army of Mercenaries" celebrates the wrong war -- butr leaving that aside, it is a poem leftists could learn from. It's got a rathehr better grip on reality than "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death" (as gut-wrenchingly beautiful as the latter is).

The point I am making here is the point West was making with his references to Bob Avakian and Huey Newton: the core of his speech, not mentioned on lbo.

Carrol