[lbo-talk] infrastructure

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 21 00:03:55 PDT 2011

At 11:44 PM 7/20/2011, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>>Not so much for me. I never go to the beach. I think that's true of
>>millions of others who live here too. DC
>
>>Yeah, beaches around L.A. kinda suck. OK for surfing. J

>Maybe because I was young? Still I think you're both missing something
>fun.
>CG

My kid is 12 and was born and still being raised in Los Angeles. She loves the beach. I'm raising a SoCal girl. Generally other people take her to the beach, but I wind up there with her when I'm not being careful.

I spent more time on the beach when I lived in San Francisco. I loved going north of the city and hanging out on those craggy beaches. One of my favorite memories is seeing a minus tide somewhere in Mendocino County. Up there you don't go in the water, you just get close to it. And then you turn right and you're in the middle of the kind of forest Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart were hanging out in in Vertigo. Best of both worlds.

I just got back from a ballgame. Great time. Angels scored six runs in one inning for a comeback 9 to 8 win. You don't like baseball? Fine. Los Angeles has opera too.

LA is a megalopolis. A giant swirling test tube of humanity. Day to day people anywhere live pretty much the same. You take a shower, go to work, and then try to fill the rest of your day with something. If you're living in LA and can't occupy your time satisfactorily, then you're probably going to have the same problem anywhere.

If you're visiting and unhappy, then it's worth considering that you're being whiny and in a sense anti-intellectual, which is to say not curious enough to put out a little effort to find out what makes such a gargantua tick.