[lbo-talk] infrastructure

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:34:09 PDT 2011

> The 60th anniversary of the publication of Catcher in the Rye was last Saturday, I believe. Maybe we're all just celebrating.
>
> Doug

I didn't know that. I did think of the book the other day but couldn't quote or even paraphrase it well enough to make use of it. One of the best students I ever had in freshman comp, a Janet Coleman, wrote a superb impromptu on Salinger's "Fore Esme, with love & ???" That was in second-semester comp at Michigan. Students who got an A or an "Exempt B" in the first semester were exempted from the second semester; hence such superb writing on an impromptu theme was an actual shock. Apparently she had somehow ticked off her first-semester instructor.

Carrol

^^^^^ CB; Salinger went to the same high school that I did, graduating a few years earlier. So, of course, we read it in one of my high school English classes, and we could relate to it very well. There were lots of phonies we noticed (giggles)