[lbo-talk] infrastructure

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 21 15:03:23 PDT 2011

On 7/21/2011 1:39 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

You know, the older I get, the more tiresome I think Holden's schtick is. (Perhaps that's Salinger's point.)

Perhaps Mario Savio was a "Holden," and he could never get beyond Holden's politics himself. That was the problem of quite a few embryonic radicals in the '60s who never went beyond the embryo. I remember talking to Dick Ohmann (then editor of College English) at some conference and (referring to an ISU professor who had published an article there), "I radicalized him." Dick: "You didn't do a very good job." I could not deny the charge. Said professor, in his mid-30s, still was at least a semi-Holden.

Carrol