[lbo-talk] ] Fwd: [Pen-l] "Today, We are all Norwegians?"

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jul 25 14:36:35 PDT 2011

On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> I'm starting to evolve a notion that it's a bad idea to
> be anti-anti-anything. Particularly if it's going to produce
> severe somatic reactions like Carrol's -- Benadryl might
> help -- or broad-brush characterizations like ravi's.

So, you have no problem with a weasel term like “PC” but one with what you call a broad-brush extensive exegesis by me. :-) Well, so be it. As long as you can reach some base case, I have no problem with such recursion! I admit that there are probably a few rare cases where “PC” has gone too far (scientistic folks might point to the equal status granted to certain kinds of hokum under a concern for cultural sensitivity) - so those might be your base cases.

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:57 PM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> Ironic since it is the very refusal to reason that makes the phrase problematic. To me, the phrase represents the following argument:
>>
>> 1. I have a strong opinion based on personal taste
>> 2. I realise that there is reason to suspect that this opinion is unfounded
>> 3. I choose not to defend it using argument
>> 4. Instead I will offer a backhanded apology by calling your view “PC”
>
> Or, "I'm about to say something ignorant and bigoted, but I'm going to spin it as bold and against the grain…”

Yes, what you said!

—ravi