[lbo-talk] ] Fwd: [Pen-l] "Today, We are all Norwegians?"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jul 25 15:12:31 PDT 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:36:35 -0400 // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> So, you have no problem with a weasel term like “PC”
> but one with what you call a broad-brush extensive exegesis by me.

Comparatively few natural-language words have really clear and distinct definitions. So it is with "PC". In my dialect -- based on my own limited experience -- the term denotes a phenomenon, centered on (but not entirely confined to) university campuses in the 80s and early 90s. Qua politics, it was not really very "left" as I understand that (equally vague) term, but constituted a kind of militant liberalism.

The praxis was largely, as far as I could tell, a matter of policing diction -- certain words and phrases were disapproved-of, including a good many ancient vernacular expressions.

Ideologically, notions like "identity" and "sensitivity" loomed very large, and distinguishing oppressed groups from oppressing groups seemed to be a fundamental heuristic.

This all seemed very shallow, moralistic, un-structural, and ahistorical to me. As such, it seemed like an awfully easy target for reactionaries, and so it proved to be.

American campuses are a very weird hermetic world, and I feel personally quite fortunate to have gotten over the wall when I did. Does it really make a lot of sense to spend much time defending these salons des precieuses?

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com