[lbo-talk] Electric Daisy

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 27 23:33:50 PDT 2011

I could be wrong, but anytime people face down the police, whatever the circumstances, it seems to me significant:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/insomniac-electric-daisy-carnival-riot.html

Los Angeles police fired nonlethal bean bags into a rowdy crowd gathered in Hollywood, where a movie screening for the Electric Daisy Carnival Experience erupted into chaos Wednesday evening.

Police said they were responding in force to several hundred people throwing bottles and other objects outside the premiere of the film version of a rave at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

Several people jumped onto a squad car, but police said they could not confirm reports of a squad car on fire.

Insomniac Inc., the organizers behind the movie screening, issued a statement saying they were "disappointed that a small group of people would try to mar a private documentary screening."

"We are thankful that the LAPD was able to quickly restore order," Erika Raney, Insomniac's communications director, said in the statement.

Insomniac -- and the Electric Daisy rave -- were the focus of significant controversy in Los Angeles after a 15-year-old girl died of a drug overdose at the two-day event held in June 2010 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Exposition Park.

The premiere of the film of the event has been promoted for weeks, with the promise of an after-party at a club nearby. But Wednesday's event was by invitation only, said LAPD Capt. Andy Smith. When news of the premiere went out on the Internet, others who were not invited tried to crash the event.

The death prompted the county to issue a rave moratorium and limit attendance to those 18 and older. But Insomniac left Los Angeles and took one of the nation's largest electronic music festivals to Las Vegas.