[lbo-talk] The West's violence problem - War

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 00:38:07 PDT 2011

Hi

I recently wrote something about the pervasiveness of war in the US. An anthropologist read the piece,  http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/ismaillagardien/2011/06/14/war-is-hell-cupcake-and-hell-is-other-people/

and sent me this link of his own: http://www.counterpunch.org/whitehead07012011.html

My original headline was "war is hell cupcake and hell is other people"

Please let me know what you think. The systemic and structural violence of the European world is one of the areas I am especially interested in. In his long-term study of capitalist economic development Angus Maddison made (a single) reference to the enormous violence and bloodshed that Europeans spread as part of their passage to "greatness". The British Historian, JM Roberts, a rather conservative fellow, European capitalist/empire expansion as Europe's "assault on the world".

Once I settle down in a job (without having to worry about the next pay cheque) I may get the book on post-war paralels and continuities with the pre-war European world's violence agains Africans, Asians and indigenous people of the Americas.   Thanks

Ismail Lagardien

Nihil humani a me alienum puto