[lbo-talk] questions about the working families party

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 06:52:29 PDT 2011

The discussion of how to exit the DP has gotten me thinking about the Working Families Party. I have a couple questions for anyone who follows them closely.

QUESTION 1: Tell me if this impression is wrong. My impression is that the WFP tends to focus much more on backing Dems in *general* elections for *important* races (e.g., state legislature) and much less on running its *own* candidates in *primaries* in *less important* races (e.g., city council). Is that right? If that's right, why?

QUESTION 2: If the WFP ran its own candidates more, is there some reason why it couldn't require those candidates - once they win and become incumbents - to hand over control of any money they raise to the party? If they did that, and if they could win some offices that way, wouldn't that give the party much more leverage over its own office-holders (as well as more resources generally) than it has now over the Dem office-holders that it backs?

SA