[lbo-talk] questions about the working families party

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Jul 30 13:09:51 PDT 2011

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011, SA wrote:

> The discussion of how to exit the DP has gotten me thinking about the
> Working Families Party. I have a couple questions for anyone who follows
> them closely.
>
> QUESTION 1: Tell me if this impression is wrong. My impression is that the
> WFP tends to focus much more on backing Dems in *general* elections for
> *important* races (e.g., state legislature) and much less on running its
> *own* candidates in *primaries* in *less important* races (e.g., city
> council). Is that right? If that's right, why?

IIUC, the WFP doesn't run any candidates of its own. It it only gives endorsements and an extra line. That's how the fusion voting game works:

http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/elections/fusion-the-secret-weapon/

The Liberal Party and the Conservative Party do the same. The laws that make it possible seem, if not unique to New York, very rare among states.

Michael