[lbo-talk] The NYTIMES's Big Obamist Lie

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Jul 30 08:11:52 PDT 2011

Flacking as always for Obama, they wrote in an editorial: "Now the only hope left for avoiding default on Tuesday is for the Senate to piece together a compromise that can pass with bipartisan majorities in both chambers."

They continue to play on the totally phony "debt ceiling" crisis in order to blame the GOP and justify the Obama austerity drive. The fact, which they forcefully and deliberately conceal from their readers, is that Obama as president has all the legal authority necessary to avoid default, and he knows it. At any point this year Obama could have simply told the people, the congress, and the "markets": "The USA will not default. I have all the constitutional and statutory authority necessary to maintain the full faith and credit of the United States and I will use that authority. There will be no default no matter what the obstructionists in the House majority do or don't do. All the governments bills will be paid. There will be no default."

So why didn't he say that? Isn't it obvious? His enforcer once said "a crisis is a terrible thing to waste," and if Obama had no crisis big enough to lay the ground for the Wall-Street austerity program he (together with his GOP frenemies) wants to impose then he and they had to invent one. Which is where we're at.

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"