[lbo-talk] The revolution will not be televised

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 11:51:34 PDT 2011

Another sense I always thought this had was that the televising of people revolting my be contagious and inspire others to revolt. The powers-that-be would not want television to be a communication network between rebellious in different locales.

The context was that reference to and talk about "the revolution" and "the movement" was very common among the 60's generation, especially in the "ghetto", which was Heron's milieu.

Charles

^^^^^

The point of the song/rap was that the revolution is not about preserving the status quo & hence would not be televised.

It was not meant to be a factual statement.

Joanna

^^^^^ CB: He was a poet,  so it probably is double entendre, to be read on more than one level, literal and figurative.

"We almost lost Detroit this time" in more ways than one. We almost lost Japan, more recently.