[lbo-talk] Liberals

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jun 3 07:50:12 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> Besides, i-products rub me the wrong way :) It is not their technical
> specs, but rather the marketing hype.

There are a lot of things to fault Apple for, but I would think marketing hype is the one thing they are less guilty off than almost all other vendors out there:

The iPhone/iPad ads show off the various things that you can do with these devices: access maps, video chat with friends/family, etc. All with some rather unabashed tugging at sentimentality, so on. But mostly truthful.

On the other end, Google and Verizon advertisements are based on sci-fi futuristic depictions involving robotic arms, flying, spinning objects (stars?), explosions and voice overs that tell you nothing much useful about the product. Then there are the ads for fibre suplements, allergy medicines, growing one’s eyelashes out, so on — with people running through meadows, sailing, erecting murals…

—ravi