[lbo-talk] Arundhati Roy

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jun 5 11:09:06 PDT 2011

On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:59 PM, michael perelman wrote:
> How many more people would hear about the dams or the indignities that
> spark Maoist uprisings because of her?

I pretty much agree with that point (sort of why I do not share general leftist hate towards Bono - was it on this list that someone posted with relish that bullshit story about some fan shouting that Bono should stop clapping his hands so children don’t die in Africa?).

I support her … I just can’t get to like her as much as I would like to. As Carrol says, it doesn’t matter.

On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Dissenting Wren wrote:

> Yes, we seem to be seizing on the tone that FT always uses in their "Lunch
> with..." interviews. I fear that we (and I most emphatically include myself)
> may envy Arundhati Roy a bit. A £500,000 advance for her first novel, which
> goes on to win the Booker Prize, beauty, celebrity, what appears from the
> outside to be a charmed life… <snip happens>

That’s a fair charge, but I can assure you, if you can take my word for it, that envy is not my problem (for one thing, I am pretty certain that if she were to drop the exotic style. she could easily write better than someone like me). It does bother me that she is the face of Indian English literature when there are more deserving candidates. But I am mostly over that, by now.

On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Thing is, her political celebrity in the West is the product of Western leftists, who cherish her in the role of the emotional Third World woman, closer to nature - with not much cerebral function expected of her, because that's not in the job description.

And bizarrely enough, Noam Chomsky is somewhere in this crowd (though his intentions might be the above).

—ravi