[lbo-talk] Arundhati Roy

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 5 16:14:26 PDT 2011

At 11:09 AM 6/5/2011, // ravi wrote:

>sort of why I do not share general leftist hate
>towards Bono - was it on this list that someone
>posted with relish that bullshit story about
>some fan shouting that Bono should stop clapping
>his hands so children don’t die in Africa?

The story is not complete bullshit. It takes off from the make poverty history campaign he was in, with other celebrities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mJU58A9SNc

Anway, if it's not true it's well-told:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394422/Saint-Bono-facing-huge-Glastonbury-protest--avoiding-tax.html

He is the rock legend dubbed 'Saint Bono' for his long-running campaign against global poverty.

But when Bono's band U2 perform at Glastonbury later this month, protesters are planning to accuse them of avoiding taxes which could have helped exactly the sort of people the singer cares about so dearly.

Members of activist group Art Uncut will hoist a massive inflatable sign with the message 'Bono Pay Up' spelt out in lights during the Irish band's headline performance.

They will also parade bundles of oversized fake cash in front of the singer.

The protest has been provoked by U2's decision to move their multi-million-pound music and publishing business away from Ireland – thus allegedly avoiding taxes on record sales.

A spokesman for Art Uncut, an off-shoot of controversial group UK Uncut, said the protest would not be violent or disrupt U2's set – but would be 'highly visible'.

He said: 'Bono claims to care about the developing world, but U2 greedily indulges in the very kind of tax avoidance that is crippling poor nations.

'We will be showing the very real impact of U2's tax avoidance on hospitals and schools in Ireland. Anyone watching will be made very aware that Bono needs to pay up.'

Read more: <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394422/Saint-Bono-facing-huge-Glastonbury-protest--avoiding-tax.html#ixzz1ORhzHR8a>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394422/Saint-Bono-facing-huge-Glastonbury-protest--avoiding-tax.html#ixzz1ORhzHR8a