[lbo-talk] Liberals

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:18:12 PDT 2011

Chris, thanks for the link, great piece. Since Weast is retiring this year, the chances are that MCPS will cave in on this. As far as Grasmick is concerned, I think she is shedding crocodile tears - she was the main force behind the push for standardized testing in MD.

I have to admit that while I have been generally supportive of Obama - his educational policy is a disaster, a good reason not to vote for him in 2012. I can understand limitations his administration faced regarding banking, economic stimulus, or health care reform - but they did not have to adopt the race to the top policy. It is pretty vile - perhaps not as vile as privatization of Medicare, but in the same league.

As I see, this whole push toward school reform results from unholy triumvirate of business interests who seek privatization of public education for profit, Republicans who seek busting teachers unions, their political nemesis, and the brand of liberals who believe that tinkering with education is the sole remedy to all social-economic problems, class inequality, etc. in this country. It is the latest that I find most despicable - they are useful idiots providing the cloak of legitimacy to vile profiteering and union-busting. These are the same forces that legitimated dismantling of the mental health care system some forty years ago.

Wojtek