[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Todd Gitlin: the most pompous ass ever?

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:03:24 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote:
> Gitlin may be a pompous ass, but the underlying point is still
> basically right.

Um, what? I don't have a master's in mathematics, but I can do basic addition and subtraction: Israel has been occupying Palestine since '67, but the first suicide bombing was until '94. I haven't been following the situation as closely as I used to, but it seems to me it's been years since there's been a suicide bombing by Palestinians, but still Israel continues to bomb and starve them. I'm know liberals wring their hands over those missiles that are launched from Gaza, but they don't really compare to F-16s strafing Palestinian villages, do they?

In no sense did Palestinians' "blow[ing] people up" cause them to be "lock[ed] up." Or maybe you see some sort of a-temporal, moral cause-effect here that suspends, you know, facts and history. But, well, like Gitlin, you're full of shit.