[lbo-talk] Weiner unhid!

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:00:33 PDT 2011

Carrol wrote: The problem with the DP is NOT that "they don't support our whole program." The 'trouble' with the DP is that they constitute the main enemy. I don't 'criticize' them anymore than Churchill 'criticized' Hitler. They (or rather it, the leadership) oppose (quite successfully most of the time) everything a "left" (if one existed) would favor.

This is an example of the exact thing I was saying: you don't understand US politics, or politics in general, if you think the DP is monolithic and will always oppose everything a [the] "left" would [does] favor. How is the DP the main enemy? You act as if a member of the DP has never and could never do anything good. As I said, way too much faith in liberal democracy to only meet the needs of capital and not workers. I am afraid it is more contingent than that.

I would posit that political action comes to a stop around elections not because of the DP but because of the leadership of those movements who have too much faith in the system to screw workers and stop all action outside of voting. It might be interesting to watch what is happening with SEIU and others calls to ratchet up actions and to not give unconditional support to the DP (I am not holding my breath though, but it makes my point about it being a problem of leadership).

And your semantic bullshit only makes you look like a fool. Reminds me of the Pomo profs I had who would attack endlessly how a student said or wrote something only because they were completely inept to deal with what they said or wrote (which is pretty much what most of Pomo is: attacks on form not substance).

Brad