[lbo-talk] Fwd: Re: Politics vs the DP

shrill.polemic at gmail.com shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:19:54 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011 4:39pm, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [WS:] How that's Democrats' fault is beyond me. Are you trying to

> say that Democrats are working to undermine its main institutional

> support base, the teachers' unions? Accusing them of being venal may

> make sense, but suicidal?

> Wojtek

In Illinois the teachers federations are largely culpable for letting Dems off the hook. They supported SB7 which undermines teacher's labor rights. Chicago teachers now need a super majority of 75% in order to strike - a provision pushed by Chicago Mayor Emanuel. And while Chicago is a Democratic stronghold both the Daley administration and the Emanuel administration have been and are vocal advocates for charter schools.

That posture is nothing new here but I'm not aware of it costing Democrats politically - especially when the IEA and IFT make it so easy for them.

And now the Chicago Public Schools rescinded a pay increase for teachers - so much for contracts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-cps-board-rescinds-teacher-raises-20110615,0,2534853.story

shrill