[lbo-talk] Politics vs the DP

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Jun 15 17:12:38 PDT 2011

This seems remarkably naive, ignoring the powerful institutional gatekeeping devices that exist between the decision making structures of the parties and the average individual who registers to be a part of a particular party. Any effort to change the democratic party strikes me as largely futile. If there is anything to learn from the Popular Front, it's the CPs collaboration in a variety of civic and political groups that had far more to do with the creation of a historical block than the formal engagement with the democratic party.

Perhaps more accurately, the extent that the latter occurred was dependent on the former. (There's a larger argument here that would read the New Deal as a neutralization of the Popular Front.)

On the other hand, the previous argument doesn't take away the possibility of working with the various activists who remain committed to the democratic party. This was certainly true of our recently formed caucus, focused on reforming our local, UAW 2865, and I could see it working with any number of concrete projects, such as opposing the various occupations or other practical reform issues. However, these projects all operate outside of the democratic party, aka 'the roach motel of the left.'

robert wood