[lbo-talk] Politics vs the DP

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:32:38 PDT 2011

I wouldn't propose moving the Democratic Party to the left as an end in itself (though left-wing activity would push liberal policy leftward). That was I suppose the stance of Harrington and company and those who thought they could turn the Democratic Party into a labor party. The point is that Third Party electoneering and perceiving the DP as the "main enemy" at this point doesn't make sense. The left should be unifying and continuing the work to build movements like the anti-austerity movement in Wisconsin, with a sober understanding of what Kucinich, Conyers, et al. are.

I actually would disagree with the part of Schulman's letter that I excerpted that argues for creating a "party within a party," as it infers some type of permanence in the relationship between the left and the DP.