[lbo-talk] The epidemic of mental illness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 16 12:22:42 PDT 2011

In an exchange in the NRB years ago Lewontin forced a physician to deny vigorously that he had claimed that germs caused TB.

TB only occurs, of course, in the 'presence' of a bacillus; but its _causes_ Lewontin argued were social. I don't think one can assert a particular cause of mental illness --or even assert it exists: that remains to be clearly established. My symptoms certainly existed, but whether they constituted a definable "illness" or not remains to be established by future research. And Doug must have had his tongue in the corner of his mouth when he typed, "what about the possibility." That hardly gets us anyplace. The answer to such a suggestion is always the same, Sure, but who knows.

Carrol