[lbo-talk] Politics vs the DP

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 16 13:58:29 PDT 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 4:49 PM, c b wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
>> Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:
>>> But let's not
>>> lose sight of the fact that to the degree that the working class is
>>> politically active, it's often as DP activists.
>>
>> As in? I am not challenging, I am curious for examples of working
>> class activists (outside of perhaps environmentalism) who are
>> primarily DP activists.
>>

> CB: The vast majority of people are working class, so most DP
> activists are working class activists.But maybe I don't understand
> what u mean by working class activists.

The question really was what was meant by the OP when he wrote that those politically active in the working class are DP activists. A lot of unknowns there… what counts as activism? What counts as DP activism? (Perhaps also, what counts as working class). Do the people who went to anti-war rallies count as working class activists? ANSWER, UFPJ, those who occupied city hall in WI… are these folks DP activists? When I think of DP activists I think of campaign workers and volunteers and such. I don’t think of activists who vote for the DP as DP activists.

> Left non-electoral activism includes
> organizing and holding protest demonstrations , lobbying, handing out
> left newspapers, holding conferences and club meetings and writing on
> political, economic and social issues.

Do these activities count as DP activism?

—ravi