[lbo-talk] anti-Zionism: pons asinorum

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Jun 30 19:38:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:11:12 -0500 Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course it might also be worth exploring whether/in which instances
> anti-Zionism/-Israelism without an accompanying, general
> antistatism--ie, that sees Israel as exceptionally odious--couldn't
> just be known by its simpler, more accurate name: racism.

Or it might not. In might be, at best, a complete waste of time, and at worst, a kind of rear-guard action.

Being "generally anti-statist" seems rather comical to me. It's like being "generally anti-evil".

There are states and then there are *states*, to paraphrase old Henry Kissinger. No doubt Sweden and Mauritius are thoroughly odious, but neither one of them is causing the kind of trouble Israel is, at the moment, and neither of them is being promoted by my government and my media as something uniquely sacred, wonderful, indispensable, etc.

Scratch your own itch, as they say in the open-source movement.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com