[lbo-talk] Recovering from hip surgery...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 23:22:31 PDT 2011

Well....hip replacement surgery was on June 21. I came back from the hospital June 23.

I was hoping to wake up in a happy little morphine cloud, but alas, there was some pain for the first 24 hours. After that, almost none... though I am still on anti-inflmatory and pain stuff (Oxycodone & acetaminophen twice a day). Tomorrow I'm planning on cutting down to one.

I was walking (with crutches) the next day. I had the benefit of a great surgeon and physical therapist. The rest of the hospital stay was horrendous, but I did have the brains to bring ear plugs and an eye mask, which spared me much misery. Now I'm dodging bullets: infection, blood clots, dislocation...which can all still happen, though less and less so each day.

It's not all that clear how much I should be doing. I sleep a lot. A little more energy each day. Don't seem to have the focus for serious reading yet, but I did manage to plow through Keith Richards' autobiography, which was ok. I suspect if he'd spent less time on drugs, he would have had more to say.

That's all the news that's fit to print. I can stand without assistance, so I can take showers again, and this morning I did some basic belly dance figure eights, and that worked too.

I can't quite remember the last time I had nothing to do. It's delicious. Also, my daughter is leaving for college in a couple of weeks, so that will be the first time in twenty seven years that I don't have a kid under foot, and that's kind of mind-blowing too.

All in all, there's reason for hope.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net>

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 04:48:38 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Oh, please, god...kill this thread.

Since you're the one asking, I happily comply. How's things? We didn't dare hope to see you back so soon.