[lbo-talk] Investment in Libya

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Mar 1 11:25:31 PST 2011

On Tue, March 1, 2011 7:18 am, Peter Fay wrote:

>> This is Orientalist nonsense. Libyans have gone through decades of
>> nationhood, urbanization and industrialization.
>
> Perhaps nationhood, urbanization and industrialization just like Iraq?

Iraq was destroyed by 12 years of sanctions and didn't descend into clan/kinship violence, but sectarian violence (Sunni vs. Shia). The paper-dictatorships are similar, though -- it's likely Saddam's regime would've eventually been toppled like Qaffadi's.

> Would we also say Asharq Al-Awsat is "Orientalist"?(
> http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=3&id=24257):

That's geography, not ideology. Can George Bush's two terms be explained by the tribalism of the Texans, who successfully lobbied the tribal elders of the Supreme Court in 2000 and defeated the rival tribes of the Yankees in 2004?

-- DRR