[lbo-talk] Investment in Libya

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 11:33:47 PST 2011

But that is the monarchist flag as independence was achieved under the king. Libya surely was put together from three different areas and the division between Tripolitania and Cyrenaica is resurfacing to some extent now. While there may have been urbanisation and industrialization surely tribal connections are still very important. The link Peter gives is to material on Egypt is there another to Libya?

Cheers, ken

----- Original Message ---- From: "dredmond at efn.org" <dredmond at efn.org> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, February 28, 2011 10:35:44 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Investment in Libya

On Mon, February 28, 2011 8:01 pm, Peter Fay wrote:

> 1) The 'democrats' revolting in Libya are not waving the Libyan flag (as
> the Egyptians waved the Egyptian flag), but instead the Libyan Monarchist
> flag

No, it's the flag of the newly independent Libya, created when it won freedom from colonial occupation.

> 3) Libya is only ostensibly a nation-state, rather than a Ottoman-Italian
> patching together of three separate regions.

This is Orientalist nonsense. Libyans have gone through decades of nationhood, urbanization and industrialization.

> 5) Qaddafi's forces are brutal and ruthless. And undemocratic. But they
> also fight to the end.

No they don't. They're murderous, cowardly swine, good only at shooting unarmed protestors with .50 weaponry. The videos are all over Youtube, just do a search or click on <http://www.libyafeb17.com/>. The people of Libya are going to defeat the dictator who robbed them blind for 40 years, and I salute their courage and determination in standing up to a dreadful tyrant.

-- DRR