[lbo-talk] 2 items re Hugo

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Mar 1 17:47:53 PST 2011

Is Chavez being taken in by the latter's bogus anti-imperialist rhetoric, or is this the limit of persona-based populism, which is based on handshakes with leaders instead of deeper social transformation? DRR

-------

I think it is a simple mistake that any enemy of the US must be with `us' mentality. And in defense of Chavez, we all do worry that the US is completely capable of manipulating a drive toward liberation to twist and deform the clear aspirations of the people of Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain.

I know the US and EU are lying through through their teeth. They don't give one shit for their own people, let alone a bunch of scruffy A-rabs. We all know this is just PR to keep their own faux legitimacy.

Chavez has been struggling against the US so long and in such desparation, I give him a pass. I trust he will come around. A very similar series of mistakes came out of Cuba and its early celebrations of Eastern Europe, Russia and China. Fidel should have known better. So what? He learned, perhaps a bit slow, but he did learn and so did the vast bulk of Cubans.

Then there are the Nicaraguans. I suspect they suffer similar difficulties.

I mean who claimed Central and South America had any better perceptions of the world than the rest of us? Everybody is learning and in their fears and exhuberance, past experience and current appraisals mistakes are made. The real question for me, is can you learn and correct yourselves?