[lbo-talk] 2 items re Hugo

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:54:19 PST 2011

I don't mean to overstate the importance of this, but it's worth mentioning that Chavez's affection with Qaddafi goes back quite a bit-- "The Green Book" was on the reading lists of the young officers in the Movimiento Bolivariano Revolucionario 200.

Also, Chavez sees the events unfolding as an attempted destabilization of a friendly OPEC nation by Western powers. Hugo isn't a prophet. He's a left populist managing a capitalist state. Better than the alternatives to the right in the region.... but when he supports repression against the popular movements in Iran or Libya, I'm not exactly surprised.