[lbo-talk] Obamacare and single payer & the Supreme Court

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Mar 2 13:38:51 PST 2011

I have a question. A federal judge has already ruled that the mandate that makes Obamacare possible is illegal on the grounds that the federal government can't force a citizen to purchase services from a private vendor.

It's being appealed up the supreme court. The general guess is that they'll rule on in it 2012.

Looking at this (blatently political right wing) court, I would think the betting would be that it will uphold the objection. (Besides the fact that I'm not sure I object to the reasoning in itself, so far as I can judge secondhand. (I haven't read the opinion.))

So I guess the question is: am I missing something? Is there a reason Supreme Court watchers consider this highly unlikely?

Because neither the Obama side nor the single payer activist side seem to be banking on it. Although to me it seems more likely than not.

And by the single payer side, I mean: this would make single payer the only option for liberals. Because without a mandate, nothing else flies. All their zillion tinkering options they've been pushing for the last 2 decades all vanish at once.

So it would seem single payer forces should be organizing for a doomsday in our favor. Is there a group of us who are doing so?

Michael