[lbo-talk] blog post: radical labor education, part 5: a new labor movement?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:43:56 PST 2011

Doug: "There are different ways to "work with" Dems. You can get involved, campaign for them, write them checks, etc. - or you can get out in the streets, sleep in the state capitol, scream, strike, etc. If you get enough of the latter, the Dems might actually behave more like a soc dem party. If you do the former, you get nothing."

[WS:] Precisely. However, I can think of a few more things in addition to getting out in the streets that are of more continuous, if not permanent nature - such as forming inside organizations to counterbalance the dreadful DLC or its spinoffs.

While we are at this, I recall a cartoon in an old issue of The Nation, comparing the conservative and liberal political behavior. The former engaged in various acts of organizing, the latter - in various acts of talking. This, I think nicely explains why conservatives get nearly all they want whereas liberals are left in the dust. What happened to Tony Mazzocchi's Labor Party that was supposed to provide political representation of workers' interests? I used to be a card carrying member, but the organization seem to fizzled out.

Wojtek