[lbo-talk] Most schools could face 'failing' label

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:05:30 PST 2011

Carrol: "ou just shift labels and try to pretend that capitalism"

[WS:] Do not you get it? I do not buy this whole spiel about 'capitalism' "system" "laws" etc. To me it is a rationalization that provides that provides an illusion of predictability and control even if not attainable at the moment, and an eschatological vision of 'salvation" by thinking of future social order imagined as a simple negation of the current one (like heaven is a simple negation of life on earth.) I do not buy that, it has zero appeal to me.

Quite frankly, I do not think that a society without a division of labor is even remotely possible, ever. And when you have a division of labor, you always have conflicting interests, period. It does not matter how these conflicting interests are legitimated or explained. At the end of the day, it is the power of one group over another group that matters. We can talk about all the abstract laws, systems falling rates, falling sky and what not until we are blue in our faces - but it does not change anything on the ground. Only overpowering those who screw you up does, and only for a while, as new power inequalities are bound to emerge. It is a perpetual process with uncertain outcomes, no logic, no laws, no systems, just opportunity and luck and craftiness.

Wojtek