[lbo-talk] blog post: radical labor education, part 5: a new labor movement?

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:51:30 PST 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> This looks interesting and I got some of it into a file where I could read
> it. But it's too long and rambling for my eyes. I hope some on this list
> read it and comment on it.

Any concretely useful info is buried in the comment section, which has become almost a chat room unto itself and is still growing rapidly. (I've copied the current comments into a Word file and it's 72 pages at 10pt font; I'll send it to you off-list, Carrol, in case it's of any use / interest.).

A lot of the discussion seems to be over whether a GS is worthwhile and what the fallout / backlash might be given prevailing US political consciousness and biases. Your point about costs is also well-represented but without much by way of concrete suggestions that I've seen so far.

I do like this one:

"If the Dems had shown themselves to be on the side of the working people in a way that affected day to day life over these last 40 years instead of wages stagnating, NAFTA, and bank deregulation, more people would have seen Dems as worth voting for. But when voters see Dems who look like they are trying to appease the rich while merely handing out pretty rhetoric or crumbs at most to the everyday people - that's downright offensive and people say fuck it and stay home. But that's not the important thing right now: every person who is now saying "Oh shit! That's not what I voted for!" and is out there at the Capitol or ready to sign a recall - take them in with open arms and call them brother/sister. The People must put aside difference and forgive mistakes and be united or else the Oligarchs will crush us all forever."

And this one:

"So let's make no mistake about this: the plutocrats will stop at nothing. Our job is to be smarter than they are, stronger than they are, and overwhelm them with sheer numbers. That's deterrent strength."

In response to the latter, I would add that "being smarter" obviously means recognizing that they are not sitting around debating whether to attack; they are only reviewing bank statements and budget projections in order to figure out how to afford the attacks and counterattacks they will unflinchingly make.

Having said that, it's actually pretty inspiring to see 72 pages of mostly very pissed off attention being paid to this in the space of half a day, so maybe that's something to reflect on at the level of opportunities and tactics.