[lbo-talk] An Orgy of Speculation?

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 17:37:28 PDT 2011

In a society with such foresight, Zuckerberg would have been sent to the gulag before he could have spawned this monstrosity. And Woz would be running Apple.

----- Original Message ---- From: SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, March 14, 2011 7:19:51 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] An Orgy of Speculation?

On 3/14/2011 3:04 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> The problem is that exploitation is _not_ the major objection to capitalism.
> It's not? What is?

They never say it in simple words, but the argument is this: In a non-centrally-planned economy, the economy evolves without every detail being consciously determined. Therefore we are unfree, slaves to a machine we ourselves built.

E.g., when Zuckerberg made Facebook, it set in motion disruptive forces over which we have no control. If we were truly free, Zuckerberg would have made Facebook as part of an integrally configured 5 Year Plan, in which all the subsequently needed economic adjustments would have been determined not through "blind economic forces" but through democratically planned foresight.

SA