[lbo-talk] Capitalist Domination -- Notes

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Mar 15 05:37:24 PDT 2011

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:51:43 -0500 "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:

> ***This fits in someplace. Newman noted that the corrupt 18th-c
> equivalent
> of a dormitory bull session, with no instruction or discipline
> involved,
> produced several generations of treat men.

I take it that Newman was referring to the 18th century English universities (i.e. Oxford & Cambridge) rather than the Scottish universities. Back in the 18th century, Adam Smith in his "The Wealth of Nations" harshly criticized Oxford, arguing that the quality of instruction provided there was of inferior quality in comparison to the instruction provided in the Scottish universities. Smith himself had studied first at Glasgow and later at Oxford, and by his own account, he was quite unhappy at Oxford. In "The Wealth of Nations," Smith argued that the very fact that the English universities were much better endowed than their Scottish counterparts, was behind this inferiority. Oxford and Cambridge could afford to provide their faculty with generous salaries thereby undermining incentives for dons to become good teachers. The Scottish universities on the other hand, could not afford to pay their professors decent salaries. Therefore, most of them were dependent on the collection of fees that offered voluntarily by their students, with the students determining for themselves how much to pay. In Smith's view, this gave them a strong incentive to pay heed to the quality of their lectures.

However, it is possible that Adam Smith was perhaps missing the point here, since he was basically assuming that higher education was something took place mostly in the lecture hall. a natural enough assumption for a professor to make, but probably quite wrong as Newman seems to have realized, since in fact probably most higher education actually takes place mostly outside the classroom and lecture halls in the bull sessions that Carrol referred too.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math