[lbo-talk] Michigan Calling

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 11:45:38 PDT 2011

Appreciations to Nick Woomer-Deters for drawing my attention to this. Apologies if people know about this.

Michigan CEO: Soul-Crushing Sprawl Killing Business

We’d like to stay in Michigan, but we have a problem. It’s not taxes or regulations. There’s lots of talk about these issues but they have no impact on our business. We spend more on copiers and toner than we do on state taxes. Our problem is access to talent. We have high-paying positions open for patent attorneys in the software and semiconductor space. Even though it is one of the best hiring environments for IP firms in 40 years, we cannot fill these positions. Most qualified candidates live out of state and simply will not move here, even though they are willing to relocate to other cities. Our recruiters are very blunt. They say it is almost impossible to recruit to Michigan without paying big premiums above competitive salaries on the coasts. It’s nearly a certainty that we will have to relocate (or at a minimum expand ) our business out of Michigan if we want to grow. People – particularly affluent and educated people – just don’t want to live here.

http://rustwire.com/2011/03/11/michigan-business-owner-soul-crushing-sprawl-driving-us-away/

Ismail Lagardien Department of Politics and Public Administration

Elon University Elon, NC 27244

Tel: +1(612) 227-5037 (Personal)