[lbo-talk] my Bob Fitch tribute

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Tue Mar 15 17:56:09 PDT 2011

Doug, This is a fine tribute to a good man. I only knew Bob through correspondence, but he was a good correspondent, full of insights. He thought I was angry with him because I didn't agree with some things he wrote in an article about labor he submitted to Monthly Review (at my request). We thought it was a bit over the top in a few places and decided not to use it. He seemed genuinely happy that I wished him happy birthday on Facebook. I told him that I never wrote anything like what I had written to him personally. We just disagreed some. I said that I knew we'd be on the same side of the barricades in a crunch. And the more you watch the union leaders today, the more you know Bob was a lot more right than wrong. And unlike Bob, I can't say that I haven't held back on things I really believe at times, out of a fear that I might lose some credibility among those, who let's face it, won't be with us on those barricades. Michael Yates