[lbo-talk] Capitalism RE: catastrophe

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 08:59:41 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eubulides" <paraconsistent at comcast.net>

> The search and realization of freedom is the deepest call to human kind. Also, I do not see how what Carrol was talking about had anything to do with determinism vs free will.
>
> Joanna

Called by who-what? History? Being? Our frontal lobes? Natural Selection?

Some males have desired a commitment-obligation free life for millenia; the fallacies of composition consequences that would flow from substantive attempts to institutionalize such a behavioral strategy for all human beings would appear to be self-defeating. ------------------

Freedom does not mean that you do whatever the fuck you want. That's called "license" or "adolescence."

That's what Marx was getting at when he said "Freedom is the recognition of necessity."

In other words, for example, freedom without self-knowledge is neither possible nor meaningful.

And what could it possibly mean to "institutionalize" freedom?

I grant that within capitalist culture "freedom" has been reduced to "license" and adolescence is perceived by many to be the happiest period of their lives (especially in the U.S.), when "freedom" was greatest and responsibility least.

Joanna